MG RUSH FAST Professional Facilitation Training (452 and 452A) strengthens leadership skills to prepare team and project leaders, analysts, managers, and executives to make the most of critical projects and decisions.
This course provides an excellent foundation for those who find themselves in meetings most of the week. Regardless of position, the course is intended for those for whom the value of meetings and team performance is critically high. The course is intensive, well-rounded, and targeted for today’s fast paced, process-driven business change environments.
Professional facilitation training is proven to substantially increase leadership skills, resulting in more productive of meetings and workshops. Methodology and leadership skills are essential to productivity given the three constraints of time, cost, and scope. Initiatives require and benefit from group activities that plan, decide, analyze, and extract high-quality information in a compressed time. Our structured facilitation technique instructs individuals (and their teams) to develop clear deliverables, superior problem-solving skills, and consensus-based decisions.
OPEN ENROLLMENT CALENDAR
Professional facilitation training also captures effective management style. Facilitation skills support a modern, collaborative leadership approach. Facilitative management bridges cross-cultural as well as cross-functional aspects within organizations.
The structured FAST facilitation technique uses immersion learning built on over thirty years of facilitation training and practical experience in a wide range of industries, situations, and group types.
FAST was originally developed as an extension and improvement over IBM’s JAD. Our enhanced FAST facilitation technique embraces JAD/JAR workshops and extends facilitation to a range of other projects, information technology, quality, corporate planning and initiatives. FAST immediately supports your need for improved decision-making, ideation, information gathering, mediation, planning, and team building.
We prepare you to plan and lead important initiatives in your firm or for your clients. MG RUSH FAST graduates apply SMART principles and preparatory activities, improve their session leadership, structured facilitation, and methodology skills, and learn how to build and sequence effective meeting and workshop steps, activities, and questions. Ultimately, most meeting deliverables are generated by building consensus around the answers to structured “questions”. Our intense, five-day curriculum teaches you how to:
- Become a more active listener and effective leader
- Build methodologies and process models that clearly define policies (i.e. “WHY”), rules (i.e. “WHAT”), and procedures (i.e. “HOW”)
- Create annotated workshop / meeting agendas, assuring your overall method is under control and transferable
- Expand the range of situations where you provide active leadership
- Heavily improve preparation (of both facilitators and participants)
- Identify appropriate workshop tools to build consensus around simple, complicated, and complex decision making
- Manage group conflict and “problem people”
- Perform as an effective facilitator and methodologist from “the board room to the boiler room”
- Plan and estimate workshops and sequential meetings
WHAT IS FAST ?
MG Rush FAST facilitation training provides the most comprehensive structured technique available. It assures information gathering where consensus replaces aggregating individual perspectives. Our FAST facilitation technique fully integrates communication and group dynamics to derive consensus-based agreement. FAST provides world class facilitation training, leadership skills, and methodological prowess.
FAST provides the foundation for successful meetings and workshops worldwide by embracing:
- Business architecture, alignment, and decision-support models
- Business process and information technology projects (eg, SCRUM, Requirements Gathering, Objects, UML, Use-Cases, SIPOC, etc.)
- Capacity building for nonprofits, NGOs, and management support organizations
- Enterprise/initiative planning, project definitions, and team charters
- Planning, analysis, design, and change management support, using any methodology
- Project and portfolio management demanding consensus-based prioritization
- Strategic mapping through life-cycle to execute your strategy
FAST improves the governance and ownership of information and action plans with proven results:
- Clear and traceable assumptions, preferences, and decisions
- Enhanced communication between all parties
- Fewer mistakes and changes
- 400% reduction of total enterprise resources compared to interviews
- More complete, consensus-based information
Key features include:
- Extensive reference manual that covers all aspects of effective meetings including: facilitator skills, group dynamics, meeting agendas, meeting preparation, project planning, visual aids and support.
- Five-day FAST Professional Facilitation Training—frequently called “The boot camp” for facilitators, producing some of the finest facilitators in the world.
- Availability of continuing professional development through our Advanced Facilitator Workshops that enable experienced facilitators to expand their abilities and continue to grow as session leaders.
- Commitment to continual updates of our content and improvements to our technique through our alumni-only online resources and alumni contributions.
- Continual fine-tuning and improvement of our technique through our own (and alumni) in-field application of FAST as regular, practical facilitators. We practice what we preach!
Course Manual: Each course participant receives a detailed reference manual with 400 hundred plus pages of meeting agendas, facilitator tools, and leadership tips to be used as a professional resource for years beyond the professional training. We offer manual updates for alumni.
Session Leader (Visual) Aids: Each student receives receives on-line access to class templates and support materials; to conduct their own meetings, workshops, and presentations.
Evaluation: Each student receives two confidential evaluations from a certified instructor describing their demonstrated strengths and areas for improvement. FAST Professional Certification is issued to each student who successfully completes the course and case study.
Video: Each student receives two digital-video recordings of their case studies where they perform as session leaders in real, yet simulated situations.
COURSE OUTLINE 452A – 1 + 4 APPROACH
Some classes offer a 1 + 4 approach. One-day of pre-work must be completed before class start. Class meets for 32 hours, beginning on Monday at 1:00PM and completing by Friday noon to allow travel to and from the class during normal working hours. Click here to see how the agenda looks. Everything else remains the same except for the amount of pre-class work required. View 452A
COURSE OUTLINE 452 – 5 DAY CURRICULUM
- Welcome/introductions: training purpose, scope, goals, and expectations
- Using the reference materials, handouts, and on-line (cloud) access
- Helping groups to make more informed decisions
- Trivium: logic (WHY), rhetoric (WHAT), and grammar (HOW)
- Clear thinking—output vs outcome
- Roles, life-cycles, methodologies, phases, and holarchial alignment
- Exercise—what does ‘DONE’ look like?
- Leadership: clarity and consensus
- Facilitation skills (eg, presenting, questioning, listening, challenging, neutrality)
- Exercise – Active Listening Lab
- Power brainstorming process: diverge, analyze, and converge steps
- Three Step Brainstorming Exercise: diverge—analyze—converge method
Facilitation Skills (continued)
- Managing group conflict
- Extracting high quality information
- Cognitive biases
- Facilitating decisions and prioritization
- Exercise – Facilitating a Brief Workshop
- Agenda concepts: codifying and sequencing the right questions
- Exercise – Building a Reusable Approach
- Exercises – “How to” scenarios and student-led simulations
Meeting Management Controls
- Checklist templates, preparation, and participant interviews and preparation
- Logistics—preventing distractions and helping groups to focus
- Standards—“if it’s not documented, it didn’t happen”—documentation sizzle
- Risk analysis—measuring/ managing risk with project team and sponsors
- Continuous improvement and feedback methods
- Leading virtual (audio-visual) participants
Planning, Analysis, and Design Approaches
- Planning-type meetings and workshops: how to prepare, build, launch, and control
- Exercise – Facilitating a Simulated Planning Session
- Facilitating ownership and implementation: (“Guardian of Change”) activities
- Analysis meetings and workshops: how to prepare, build, launch, and control
- Exercise – Facilitating a Simulated Analysis Session
- Design meetings and workshops: how to prepare, build, launch, and control
- Contrasting Field-Tested Workshops: how to prepare, build, launch, and control . . . tables, diagrams, process models, and creativity/ innovation workshops
Student Skills and Case Studies
- Exercises – Immersive Case Studies
- Personalized coaching, strengths, and identified improvement areas
- Continuous and sustainable improvement
- Certification and wrap
PMI PDUs – Participants qualify for 40 Professional Development Units (PDUs) from the PMI upon completion.
IIBA CDUs – Participants qualify for 40 Continuing Development Units (CDUs) from the IIBA upon completion. We comply with the IIBA BABOK® v2.0.
SCRUM SEUs – Participants qualify for 40 SCRUM Educational Units (SEUs) from the SCRUM Alliance upon completion.
Private classes may be customized for your own group or situation. Minimum private group size is four; maximum is fifteen. Private classes provide the best opportunity for us to tailor the curriculum for your company’s needs.
Public classes are typically held monthly.
Class dates are subject to change. Please check our Public Course Calendar for the most current sites and dates.
(Ask about other dates. Occasionally, a private class client may permit non-competing persons to participate in their on-site classes. Private, on-site classes occur throughout the U.S. and World.)
Participants also receive our copyrighted reference manual plus session leader templates and workshop tools for alumni use and distribution. Numerous private companies and governmental bodies have each sent dozens of participants through our core curriculum. Contact us today for details, arrangements, or for other questions.
The cost per student:
- 452 Professional Facilitation 5-Day Class: US $2,950.00
- 452A Professional Facilitation 1+4 Class: US $2,550.00
(*Public class prices are per person. Discounts are available for nonprofit organizations and larger groups, which can be noted on our registration form.)
Fee includes training, materials, supplies, and lunch. We limit public class size to provide each student with opportunities to practice and enable personal attention from the instructor. Transportation, meals outside of class, and lodging are the responsibility of the student.
Please inquire for private class pricing and available dates (for on-site, corporate needs).The on-site fee covers training, materials, and instructor travel. Ideally, on-site classes should contain six to twelve students.Enquire About Private Class
If you would like to attend a specific class, plan to send someone(s), or are waiting on final approvals or confirmation, go ahead and call or write today to reserve a seat. Classes fill up quickly and are limited in size. If the class you select is full, we will notify you and place you on a waiting list if you choose.
Students receive the most benefit from the course if they have:
- Good organizational skills
- Some understanding of business problems
- Familiarity with business analysis
- Moderate comfort working in front of a group
For an extensive list of organizations that prefer FAST, please visit our Clients page.
YOUR NEXT STEP
To reserve a space, arrange for a private class, or inquire about this, and other courses, please call us at 630-954-5880.
To register now for our 452 Professional Facilitation Training CLICK HERE
To register for our 452A (1+4) Approach Professional Facilitation Training CLICK HERE
To view a schedule of when and where 452 and 452A are offered CLICK HERE
No payment is taken during registration. Students will be invoiced.