The following Creativity tool stimulates the ideation activity of Brainstorming and enables people to express ideas and beliefs non-verbally, even if they cannot or will not do it orally. This is especially beneficial for developing visions of the business, system, or organization. It should also be used when defining, especially complex products or processes.
Creativity Tool Method
The Creativity tool allows each team to draw pictorial answers about a specific question or to provide solutions for a specific scenario. Additionally, the Creativity tool frequently takes less time than narrative capture. If you use the Creativity tool early during the workshop, you can mount visually stimulating wallpaper that participants will refer to later. Since teams rather than individuals generate the results, you provide timid participants permission to speak freely by enabling them to defend or explain what their teams created. Complete the following:
- Divide the group into smaller teams of three to five people. Watch the mix of people—plan how you want to mix them.
- Explain what they will be doing and provide a visual prompt of the question(s) that need to be answered. Examples:
- Draw a picture of how the organization looks today.
- Illustrate how you would like the organization or system to look in the future.
- Draw your vision of where you are going with the business or system.
- (illustrative) Provide answers to the question, “What do you expect to get out of this class?”
- You can use one or more of the above examples or your own. Therefore, if you have the teams draw pictures of both today and the future, you empower them with the ability to compare and contrast.
- Provide a time limit, flip chart paper, and colored markers.
- When finished, have each team present their drawing(s). Consider using the Bookend tool for identifying commonalities and items that may be extremely unique. Keep the drawings mounted on the wall and do NOT mark on them.
- Separately, capture their narrative explanations and feed back and confirm that the narrative reflections are accurate and complete.
Creativity Tool Notes
The Creativity tool is powerful in drawing out beliefs and ideas. Use it effectively by knowing how you are going to use the output.
Become Part of the Solution—Improve Your Facilitation, Leadership, and Methodology Skills
MG RUSH Professional Facilitation Training provides an excellent way to earn up to 40 SEUs from the Scrum Alliance, 40 PDUs from PMI, 40 CDUs from IIBA, and 3.2 CEUs. As a member of the International Association of Facilitators (IAF), our Professional Facilitation Training aligns with IAF Certification Principles and fully prepares alumni for their Certified Professional Facilitator designation.
Furthermore, our Professional Facilitation curriculum immerses students in the responsibilities and dynamics of an effective facilitator and methodologist. Remember, nobody is smarter than everybody, so attend a FAST Professional Facilitation, Leadership, and Methodology workshop offered around the world. See MG RUSH for a current schedule.
Go to the Facilitation Training Store https://mgrush.com/shop/ because you may access our in-house resources. There you will find annotated agendas, break timers, and templates used in our Professional Facilitation, Leadership, and Methodology meetings and workshops.
Finally, don’t forget to order our book, Change or Die if you’re working on a business process improvement project. It provides detailed workshop agendas and tools making your role easier and your team’s performance more remarkable.
We dare you to embrace the will, wisdom, and activities that amplify a facilitative leader.