Using your telephone or a separate camera to record and backup meeting output will help you avoid losing valuable information.
You will capture various benefits with very little time or resource required. A backup provides a strong sense of security from loss of information gathered during your meetings and workshops.
Backup Meeting Output from a Whiteboard or Easel for Later Transcription
When you backup meeting output from easel paper and white boards, you have made the information portable. Photographic or video recordings also free up the whiteboard space for additional writing. Recordings allow you to complete your transcriptions and meeting notes “off line.”
Photographic recording is particularly useful when meetings are impromptu and the whiteboard is the only practical tool for capturing notes. Typically we always take digital pictures or video at the end of every session and at the end of each day during a multi-day workshop, regardless if we still have the paper rolled up or not.
Tips on How to Backup Meeting Output
- Download the photos quickly to your PC so that the information is fresh, should any portion of the photos be illegible.
- Work in a room that is lit well enough to help you avoid the need of a camera flash. If you have the option of disabling the flash, and have sufficient natural lighting, turn the flash off to avoid the problem mentioned in the next point . . .
- Be careful to avoid the distortion of an electronic flash.Take the photo at a slight angle. If you are using a flash (or it operates automatically), do not shoot your photo straight on at a perfect, perpendicular angle. Rather, skew your angle a few degrees to avoid the bounce of the flash back into the lens.
- Be sure that the entire span of the whiteboard or easel paper is captured in the photo(s). Even if you intend to capture the board/easel in sections, the big view provides a valuable reference later. Alternatively, use the panoramic setting or take a video of the entire room as well.
- Having advised you to capture all of the writing in the room, zoom in on narrative sections so that you can record text that has legibility challenges. Capture photos of the board in sections—just in case—to assure legible images for later transcription.
- Preview the digital photos that you’ve just taken to assure yourself of:
- the field of view that you intended,
- the legibility of the sections of the board/easel that you’ve captured, and
- that you’ve captured ALL the information you intended.
Please note that some cell phone cameras are insufficient for the task due to low picture resolution and lower quality lens, but they are improving with each new generation of handheld devices.
MG RUSH professional facilitation curriculum focuses on providing methodology. Each student thoroughly practices methodology and tools before class concludes. Some call this immersion. We call it the road to building impactful facilitation skills.
Become Part of the Solution While You Improve Your Facilitation, Leadership, and Methodology Skills
Take a class or forward this to someone who should. MG RUSH Professional Facilitation Training provides an excellent way to earn up to 40 SEUs from the Scrum Alliance, 40 PDUs from PMI, 40 CDUs from IIBA, and 3.2 CEUs. As a member of the International Association of Facilitators (IAF), our Professional Facilitation. Therefore, our training aligns with IAF Certification Principles and fully prepares alumni for their Certified Professional Facilitator designation.
Furthermore, our Professional Facilitation curriculum immerses students in the responsibilities and dynamics of an effective facilitator and methodologist. Because nobody is smarter than everybody, attend an MG RUSH Professional Facilitation, Leadership, and Methodology workshop offered around the world, see MG RUSH for a current schedule.
Go to the Facilitation Training Store to access our in-house resources. You will discover numerous annotated agendas, break timers, and templates. Finally, take a few seconds to buy us a cup of coffee and please SHARE.
In conclusion, we dare you to embrace the will, wisdom, and activities that amplify a facilitative leader.